Star Trek Adventures Info pt 1.

This first post is going to give you an idea about the game itself.



This is a 2d20 system RPG developed by Modiphius.

A 2d20 system for those of you who may be wondering is when you want to do something (like attack, scan something, etc.) the GM will ask for a test using an Attribute and a Discepline. The numbers associated with those are added together to give you a target number. The GM will also give you a difficulty of the task from 0 (auto success but can be rolled) to 5 (really difficult), you roll 2d20 and everyone that rolls equal to or under your target number is a success. You may ask how it is possible to get 5 successes with only 2d20 well that is where critical successes come in, a roll of a natural 1 is a critical success which counts as 2 successes (Focuses change this number but this will be covered below). There is also Momentum (which I will describe later on).


Here are the stats for my science officer Attributes have a range from 7 to 12 (normally) and Disciplines 1 to 5 (again normally). How this is worked out will be shown in a follow up post.

So let us say my science officer is scanning the surrounding area the GM will call for a test, let us say Reason + Science and a difficulty of 2, as you can see I'm good at that, 12+5=17 so on 2d20s if I get 17 or under I get a success so let us say I rolled a 15 and a 5. Both successes now if I was on a ship or a shuttle and was using the ship's/shuttle's sensors I would have actually got 3 successes due to the fact the 5 is equal to my Discipline used and I have a focus in Sensor Operations.

In this second example being as I beat the difficulty by 1 I would gain 1 point of Momentum, which I can use now to ask questions about what the GM tells me about what I scanned or it can be pooled upto 6 in a party pool.

These Momentum in the pool can be used to do special things the most common use is spending it to buy extra d20s up to a max of 5 being rolled, the 1st costs 1, the 2nd 2 and the 3rd 3. So to buy 2 extra dice it's 3 Momentum.

If however you roll a 20 you generate a complication now these either can be played out by the GM or the GM can change it into Threat this works like the players Momentum but with a higher pool limit of 20 and more choices of what to spend it on.

I will cover more in part 2 which will come after I talk about character generation.

Comments

Popular Posts